Telford, Jane

Telford, Jane


Born: 17 Dec 1795, Armagh, Ulster, Ireland

Married: Mar 1825, Scotaland

Spouse: John Telford

Died: 5 Sep 1886, Richmond, Cache, Utah

Parents: Robert Telford and Ann Conn

Family Line: Anna Telford


Jane Telford

Jane Telford, a Utah Pioneer arrived inBountiful,Utahin 1851. She was born December 17, 1795 inIreland. She was the daughter of Robert and Ann Conn Telford. She had three brothers, Samuel, Robert and Thomas.

Her father, Robert was the eldest son; he inherited the largest share of his father’s property. He was considered quite wealthy. He and his sons were skilled at finance and accumulated property.

Jane was a beautiful girl with lovely blonde hair. She was raised in favorable circumstances. Her family expected her to marry someone of position and wealth, however she chose instead to marry her cousin a man of modest means.

She was married in Scotland to John Telford, March 1825. After their marriage, John obtained work inScotlandand the couple remained there for about two years.

Their first child, Robert was born January 8, 1826 inScotland, Anna was born November 22, 1827 and George, November 20, 1829 both inArmagh County,Ireland.

About 1830, the young family set sail forCanadaon an emigrant ship which included John’s sister, Mary Jane and her husband, Joseph Irwin plus Irwin’s brother Tom and his wife Jane.

During the eight weeks that they sailed smallpox broke out on board the vessel. Everyone on ship was justifiably frightened of this terrible disease. During that time3, almost everyone hat contacted the malady died.

Little Anna was just two and half years old when she broke out with the pox. Jane feared that if it became known the other passengers would insist on the infant being thrown overboard. So she hid the child in one of her large linen chests till she recovered.

A violent storm arose during the voyage. Their ship and another became entangled and both nearly sunk. Fortunately the sailors were able to free the ships., but much damage had been done and so much seawater had washed on board during the storm that the sailors had to man the pumps for days to keep a float.

Jane was sailing with many lovely linens and other household goods. These plus clothing and important papers were soaked and much was totally ruined. In addition, the passengers were forced to sleep in damp bedding. She never fully recovered from the exposure. And eventually lost most of her hearing.

After landing inQuebecthe Telford and Irwin families sailed up theSt. Lawrence River. The Telfords lived atTorontoand then moved toEssex County,Ontario, just across the river fromDetroit,Michigan.

While living inCanadashe gave birth to two more children. John Dodds was born March 12, 1832 and Eliza Victoria was born March 24, 1835.

In Essex County, the Telfords obtained a maple sugar orchard. They built a new home and furnished it with new furniture.

After they had been inCanadafor about eight years they learned about the teachings of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Jane was baptized a member January 3, 1838 and her husband, John joined later the same month.

There was considerable prejudice among the neighbors against members of their new church so they did not even try to sell their property. They just locked up their home and left everything to join the main body of the Latter-day Saints then living inKirtland,Ohio.

n 1839, they moved toMissouriwhere they were subject to considerable persecution and mob violence. On one occasion, everyone in the family was ill with chills and fever except for their eldest son, Robert. Even though Jane and John were sick they were managing on an alternative basis to give care to their children. Then a mob came and ordered them out of their home. One member of the mob took compassion on the sick family and got permission for them to remain one extra day in their home. When the mob returned the following day the Telfords were still very sick. They were threatened with the promise that their home would be burned with them inside if they did not leave immediately.

The same man that had protected them previously again defied others of the mob explaining that he had a mother and would not take part in such inhuman treatment.

When the mob began to set fire to the home, he helped them reach safety by marching for a mile between the mob and theTelfordfamily wagon with his gun drawn. Their home, crops and possessions were all burnt by fire. Neighbors were threatened with similar treatment if they offered food or assistance.

One farmer refused to give any aid but declared, “There is meat in the smoke house and flour and potatoes in the bins”. John took a few provisions, left his money under the door and hurried away lest anyone discover them.

Later the family joined the “Saints” inNauvoo,Illinois. There they assisted in the building of the community and constructed for their own use a brick home with lovely flower gardens.

John and his sons worked on the construction of the temple. They were forced in order to complete it before the westward exodus to work in all kinds of weather. Robert worked at the quarry as well as at the temple site. One day while working at the top of the structure he fell to the bottom of the building. His fall was eased somewhat by hitting tow workman standing below.

Their younger son, George suffered so much from the exposure while working on the temple that he died in 1850 of Pneumonia atGarden Grove. He was just twenty-one years of age. Jane lost two children in their infancy, Joseph and Emma Jane during this period of time.

She believed and accepted the principles of her Faith. She never complained of the hardships that she and her family were forced to endure.

Jane and John were “endowed” in theNauvooTemplethe day before Christmas in 1845 before they were forced once more to leave their home. Leave they did in February of 1846.

John was chosen captain of “Fifty” of the Harry Walton Wagon Company that left for theSaltLakeValleyin 1851. It is reported that the family started the journey with three wagons. One loaded with provisions for planting, the second with materials for making clothing and small wagon for the family to ride in.

Daughter Anna drove the wagon her mother rode in, and her sister Victoria drove a team. They started with horses enough for the journey, but part was along Native Americans were thought to have stolen their animals. The rest of the trek they used oxen.

The women busied themselves on the journey sewing when they were not engaged in normal camp-duties.

The family arrived in theSaltLakeValleyin September of 1851 and settled just north ofSalt Lake Cityin an area now calledBountiful.

Descendants remain there today, however the pioneer family moved in 1881 north to Cache Valley. Jane lived with her daughter, Anna Stoddard until about a year later.

Jane was industrious and taught her daughters homemaking skills. She continued to sew, and knit well into her late eighties. She was also gifted in singing and sang as she completed her chores around the home.

She had a erect, slender figure and enjoyed good health. Jane passed away in her ninety-first year on September 5, 1886. She was interred in Richmond,Utahin the City cemetery.




If you have information to contribute, including pedigrees, family history, journals, etc., please contact us.